Friday, October 9, 2009

Smells like fall

So, on our first real grocery run after Will and I had moved into the cottage, I picked up the largest canister of "rolled oats" oatmeal you've ever seen. Will's eyes dilated as he looked from me to it barely clutched in my small hand.

"Its economical to buy in bulk," I said.

"You're going to eat all of that?" he asked.

I checked the expiration date which was Nov 2011.

"It'll last until I eat it all," I said.

We got it. It has been sitting on the third shelf of Util (pronounced "you-tul"), our gigantic metal rack that we use for kitchen storage, for nearly two months now, and I've only used 1/4 cup from it. Oops.

So, I decided to make granola. This afternoon. Exactly one hour ago. I used the third recipe that google gave me. It called for a lot of things that I didn't have like cinnamon and 1/4 cup of honey and parchment paper, and also for a lot of things that I really didn't want to use like vegetable oil (yuk). So, I implemented and scrapped by. The finished product was quite possibly the best granola I've ever had.

Here's MY recipe.

Wow. It is so exciting to have my own recipe.

And, this recipe is dictated the way I think every recipe should be, so that wary bakers like myself won't destroy things!


BRI'S YOU-DON'T-HAFTA-BE-A-BAKER GRANOLA


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Get out cookie sheet and grease with a few drops of Canola Oil and a paper towel.

Set the cookie sheet near the big bowl.

Chop up 1/2 cup of raw unsalted almonds and put in big bowl.

Toss 2 cups of rolled oats and 1 teaspoon of salt in the big bowl with the chopped almonds.

Leave the big bowl beside the cookie sheet.

In a small bowl, combine with a whisk 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 teaspoon of Canola oil, 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/8 cup of honey and 1/8 cup of syrup (think pancakes).

Then, pour over the oats and salt in the big bowl (make sure to scrape the small bowl with a spatula to get all of the sweet goodness).

Use hands to combine the oats and sweet goodness.

Combine until your hands are thoroughly coated in oats and sweet goodness.

Then, scoop up the unbaked granola with hands and spread on the cookie sheet (see why you put the big bowl close to it?).

Pat down with hands.

Scrape gooey unbaked granola from hands.

Lick the sweet goodness off hands and fingers.

Wash hands and fingers.

Place cookie sheet in the preheated oven and time for 10 mins.

Take out
the cookie sheet after timer goes off and take a deep breath (smells like fall!).

Use a spatula to scrape up the almost-baked granola and mix it all around.

Pat down with spatula.

Place cookie sheet
back in oven for 5 mins.

Take out
at timer and place on the stove.

Let the granola sit on the cookie sheet for 20 mins.

Pick it off of cookie sheet after the 20 mins and break into a container.

ENJOY!



And, that is how recipes should be written.



TA-DA!



Can't stop munching....

No comments:

Post a Comment